Monday, July 26, 2010

Doing the Right Thing?

Okay, so Bristol and Livi are finally getting married. Bristol Palin and Livi Johnston, that is. This is so they can raise their son, Tripp, who was born out of wedlock, with a mother and a father in the same house. Oh, goody. Who cares if the father has posed for Playgirl? Does it matter that the couple is notorious for their fighting? And what about the reality show they want to start? Will it be like reruns of "Father Knows Best?" Or will it focus on all the sordid details of their relationship, while this innocent child sits in the middle of all this mess?

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be happy that they are finally "doing the right thing," but I am not so sure it is the right thing.

Having children first is becoming more and more popular, and a recent column by Georgie Anne Geyer talked about the proud unwed mothers and fathers who display their children before the world. What is wrong with these young people? These babies are not like those cute little purse dogs that are also gaining in popularity. These are children who will be severely impacted by the behavior of their parents and the decisions made by them, and that impact has more consequences than just a problem of an untrained dog.

Don't they get that? Has having babies out of wedlock  become the latest fad?

Reports from the Centers for Disease Control show a huge jump in the percentage of teen boys who say it is okay to have children and not be married. Statistics from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy also showed a significant change in attitudes. The percentage of boys who say they do not have sexual relations with a girl for fear of pregnancy fell from 25 percent to 12 percent.

Shame, shame on a society that devalues something so precious as the gift of life.

7 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

It is a sad state of affairs that we find ourselves in these days. It does seem to be a fad. I think it has a lot to do with the 'celebrities' and what they do. There are few that set good standards for people to look up to anymore.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Maryannwrites said...

Mason, you are so right. It is those same types of people who are promoting the pooch-in-a-purse-fad with no thought of what that means for the poor dogs.

Helen Ginger said...

Yeah, when I heard they wanted to do a reality show, I figured it was a marriage of paparazzi. What bothers me is when I turn on the TV and catch a snippet of Jerry Springer or Maury where the guests are a girl who's testing her fifteen boy to find the father of her baby or the guy who's being tested and he already has five kids with five other girls.

Terry Odell said...

I'm so out of touch, I have no clue who these people are. Gone are the shotgun wedding days, but I'm sorry...using something for personal promotion just doesn't cut it.

Maryannwrites said...

Oh, my gosh, Terry, you are out of touch. Remember Sarah Palin and the daughter who was pregnant during the campaign?

Terry Odell said...

Ah - wasn't reading carefully and missed the "Palin." Well, I avoid politics if at all possible, so those names wouldn't have stuck.

Maryannwrites said...

I don't blame you for staying away from politics, Terry. This only stuck with me because it riled me so.

My husband always tells me I am so opinionated and I have no clue why. LOL