Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering...

Very few people in the world were not touched by the events of 9/11, some more deeply than others. For those of us in the United States we will probably never forget where we were that morning and what we were doing.

I was getting ready for work, putting the finishing touches on my makeup and about to head out the door when my daughter called to tell me to turn on the television.

At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing and we both watched in horror as the second plane hit. I was stunned. Not even sure I could go to work, but I had to. I was working as a chaplain in a hospital at the time and I thought of all the patients who were feeling the emotional impact of this tragedy on top of the hardships they were already experiencing. If ever they needed a chaplain it was that day.

So I went to work.

There's a great country song by Alan Jackson that seems appropriate for today "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?" 

Every time I hear that song I cry a little more.

3 comments:

Anj said...

I was at work, with no access to TV or radio. Someone came over from another department (where they were listening to a radio) and told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center, so I brought up Yahoo News to read about it. I kept refreshing Yahoo News throughout the morning, we kept running back and forth between the departments, keeping each other updated.

It wasn't until after work, when I stopped at the bank and they had a TV set up in their lobby, that I actually SAW it for the first time. Somehow, the TV images hit harder than any of the online articles or still pictures, like a punch in the chest.

The Words Crafter said...

I too, saw the second plane hit, then the towers fell. I can remember the un-reality of it, the surrealness....and I felt sick and hollow inside.

I admire that you were able to go to work and help others through all this, as well as other things. That says a lot about you.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comments; they're greatly appreciated.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Much appreciated.