Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday's Odds and Ends

First off, I did not get up at 4am to watch the royal wedding. I have no interest in it and will probably not even turn on the TV today as I know most network channels will be filled with stories revolving around the wedding and royalty and everyone's fascination with all that. I don't get it.

To me, the only good thing about the royal wedding is it will take the attention away from Donald Trump for a day or so. Can you believe that people are actually getting serious about a presidential bid by the Trumpster? And one of the reasons cited for the seriousness is the fact that of all the possible contenders he has the most money.

What? Being rich is the strongest qualification for the job?

I did find something else in the news this week more interesting than who is going to run for president, and that was a story about school police issuing tickets to students. I didn't know they could do that. And I didn't know the fines could be so high,  up to $500. The fines are for such infractions as cussing, disorderly conduct, fighting, assault, disruption of class, abusive language, and trespassing on school grounds.

I think the fines are pretty steep, especially for kids who come from families that live at the poverty level. One boy in Dallas was fined $280 for cussing. Yikes, I remember when such an infraction earned a demerit and some time spent after school cleaning the cafeteria.

What do you think? Good policy? Bad?

2 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

I didn't watch the wedding either, but I did look at some pictures last night. Kate's dress was classically elegant. None of the overdone poof of Diana's. I loved her simple veil, too.

Maryannwrites said...

I saw pictures, too, and thought the dress was stunning without being flashy and flamboyant. And the couple did look so incredibly happy.