Monday, August 20, 2012

Celebrating Our Wedding Anniversary

Today is our 47th wedding anniversary, so I will just make a quick blog entry, then spend the rest of the day with my husband.

Sometimes I am amazed that we have made it this long. In terms of relationships, there isn’t a lot of longevity in my family. My parents were divorced when I was about three and my father remarried when I was five.  I was raised primarily by my mother, but did spend a lot of time with my father and his new family, which is where I got to experience the joy of living in a house with 15 other people and one bathroom.

My mother’s parents split when she was quite young, and I recently found out my grandmother was somewhat of a harlot. She liked her beer and her men. That side of the family is rift with divorces and multiple marriages, and it would take a whole book just to talk about all of that. So I won’t.

When Carl and I married, it was with the vow and the hope that we would manage to stay together for the long haul. Often we would joke that we couldn’t get a divorce because I needed him to tune my guitar and he needed me to chase the snakes out of our woodpile.


I still have the guitar, so I guess we're stuck with each other for a few more years.

To Us

11 comments:

Dana said...

Happy anniversary! I love your story about the guitar and the woodpile. :)

Yesterday was our sixth anniversary. I'm looking forward to our forty-seventh.

Happy Monday!

Karen from Mentor said...

Awwwwwww -- keep on keeping that guitar tuned. Happy Anniversary!!

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks so much, Dana. Nice to see you here again. I need to be better about visiting your blog, too.

Thanks, Karen. He does keep my guitar tuned. LOL

LD Masterson said...

Happy Anniversary. My hubby and I are a couple years behind you. Similar situation. He needs me to read directions (of any kind) and I need him to kill spiders.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks for stopping by, LD. Killing spiders is also one of my hubby's jobs, although I have gotten more tolerant of them since living out here in the country. My attitude is that they were here first, so I need to let them be. Except when they come in my house.

Mina Lobo said...

Aw! I love me a snake-chasin' woman! ;-) Congratulations to you both. <3
Some Dark Romantic

Helen Ginger said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Love the story. Love that you've stuck together and are happy.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks Helen and Mina Lobo. One secret to longevity in a relationship is to make the decision to love the other person even when you don't feel very loving. (smile)

Mercedes said...

Posts like this allow me to believe there is hope in marriage! This is ridiculously sweet and I hope you all have many more years to come. It's funny how spending time and simple traditional anniversary gifts along with love, are all a girl needs to be reminded of the man she wants to spend her life with.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks for stopping by, Mercedes. You are so right about how the simple gifts and the time together make for a strong marriage.

Mercedes said...

=)