Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

The power went out here for a couple of hours this afternoon, which sure messed with the plan I had for today.

We have had such beautiful weather the past few days, I have been outside in the mornings taking care of the gardens and picking berries. Then I come inside and start my day in the office about 10 0r 11. I schedule an hour or so to update WinnsboroToday.com and then I work on my latest book for at least an hour. After that, I try to update this blog, do some promoting, or prepare something for The Blood Red Pencil blog.

This afternoon, the minute the power went out and my computer sighed to a close, I was adrift. What can I do? I can't write without my computer.

I know, I know. Haven't I heard of pen and paper?

Actually, I have, and I even started out as a writer with notebook paper and a pencil. Then I graduated to a pen. But I have become so acclimated to writing directly on the computer that I'm stymied when I can't.

Kind of weird when you think about it. Tolstoy wrote War and Peace with a quill pen. You'd think we modern writers could suck it up and get out a ballpoint.

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm way too used to a keyboard. My fingers don't want to work good when I write with a pen or pencil. If I must, I write things down and hope I can read them later. If I have to write fast, I still use shorthand occasionally.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Maryannwrites said...

LOL, Morgan. I have the worst handwriting since I have been using a keyboard so long. I even do my personal letters on the computer so my family and friends can actually read them.