Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Guest Post by Tracy Farr

I am doing the Youth Drama Camp again this week, so I am gone from my office most of the time. Thank you Tracy Farr for allowing me to stea... er,  borrow your work when I am desperate for a blog piece. Enjoy....

5 Tips on Surviving Marriage

Sadie and Reese are friends of mine who recently got married. I took their wedding pictures. While at the wedding, I thought about giving them advice on how to sustain a long and happy marriage, but reconsidered, thinking it might be inappropriate to give them my counsel as they exchanged rings or ate wedding cake.


But now that the ceremony is over, Sadie and Reese, I hereby and forthwith give you my Five Tips on Surviving Marriage:

1. Reese: It is YOUR job to mow the yard. Yes, you may be tempted to let her push the lawnmower or ride the tractor around the yard after you’ve come home from a hard day at work, and we (and by we, I mean your man brothers), we may look at you with admiration for conning your wife into doing it for you – but it’s a trap. Let her mow the yard once, and she’ll use it against you until she lays you in your grave. And maybe even longer.

“What do you mean you don’t have time to pick up the milk,” she’ll say. “Don’t you remember how I mowed the yard for you three years ago, without any help? And you don’t have time to pick up a lousy carton of milk? My mother warned me this would happen.”

Sadie: It is your job to mow the yard as often as possible, thus giving you tremendous amounts of leverage against him. If he beats you to the lawnmower, at least bring him a glass of iced tea while he’s mowing. You can use that as leverage, too.

To read the rest of the tips, click over to Tracy's Blog

5 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

That's funny. I have mowed the lawn before (not recently though). Did not hold it against him. My neighbor across the street did though. Big time.

Straight From Hel

Dany said...

I used to mow the lawn all the time. I think my neighbors were putting down their phones from calling the HOA on us rather than judging who should be doing the lawn! "Look at that lawn! Who's going to clean it up this time?!"

Maryannwrites said...

My husband has always hated yard work and I love it, so I often did it all while he did dishes and folded laundry. Some of the neighbors did wonder about that arrangement.

Carol Kilgore said...

This is great. Hilarious. We once lived in a townhouse with a small private yard. I cut it with clippers.

Maryannwrites said...

LOL, Carol. And I thought it was embarrassing that I cut a small piece of our back yard with the week whacker.