My father also taught me some of the basics of maintaining a car - changing the oil, checking the tires, changing a flat tire, replacing spark plugs, and checking all the other fluids. I wasn't allowed to get my license until I had mastered all that.
However, the most important thing my father taught me was courtesy on the road - also not so common in this modern society.
People seem to have forgotten some of the basic rules and courtesies:
- On the freeway and interstate, the left lane is for passing only
- Allow one car length between you and the car ahead of you for every 10MPH of speed (nothing is worse than looking in your rear-view mirror and not even seeing the grill of the car following)
- An orange light means prepare to stop, not speed up
- A red light means stop, not blast through the intersection
- Don't pass a car and then slow down (UGH)
- Don't pull out in front of a car that is passing you (again UGH)
So what about you? What are some of your pet peeves related to driving?