Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day 2011

Instead of my usual Friday fare on the blog, I wanted to pause a moment to honor the men and women who have served in the military in defense of our country and our freedom. If you would like to see the ceremony being held at Arlington Cemetary in Washington D.C. today here is a LINK.

Late yesterday a friend of mine, Clint Brady, posted this on his Facebook status and it encompasses all of what I would like to say to those in the military and those who served at one time.  With his permission, I'd like to share it with you.

"A few hours early here in Texas. Let me say a heartfelt thank you to each and every one of our veterans and those in active duty military. I may not have always agreed with ,or completely understood, what you were fighting for. But each of you has done something that the large majority of Americans either can't or won't do...you put on a uniform to serve our country, and in many cases you risked your life to do that. I can never fully understand the sacrifices you made to serve our country since I was never in the military myself. What I can absolutely assure you is that you have my respect and gratitude. Happy Veterans Day, and thank you."

And I would like to add a special thank you to my brother, Michael, who served in Vietnam, my son, David, who served in Desert Storm, my daughter, Danielle, who served in the army, my grandfather Stewart who served in WWII, and all the military men in my father's family who served in every war since the Revolutionary War.

2 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

Thank you for such a caring and thoughtful post.

Maryannwrites said...

You're welcome, Carol. Glad you enjoyed it. I was so pleased that my friend let me share his thoughts for Veteran's Day.