Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday Morning Musings

I am really behind in keeping up with some of the news. For instance, I did not know there are thousands do "fan girls" who feel sorry for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the man accused of the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

Really? I thought it was a joke when I first read the news item.

Why are so many young girls, and grown women, attracted to such bad boys? According to one columnist, Charlotte Adams, "women are chronically attracted to the bad boys because they want to reform them, or minister to their wounds, or be the healing presence they've never had - but mostly because they find them sexy."

Sexy? What does that say about our society?

On a much more positive note. We are in the last week of rehearsal for our annual Nite of Comedy at the Winnsboro Center for the Arts, where I have had the pleasure of working with some talented young people. The group has brainstormed and written some funny skits, and we will be doing a bit of improv, as well.

Hey, Dude. You are too happy to be singing the blues.
I love working with these kids and look forward to the Summer Drama Camp which will start on July 8th. Some of these young people took the stage for the first time at the camp, and it has been such fun watching them grow and mature as actors. The only problem is, they do grow up, graduate from high school, and then go away to college.

That said, I think you will understand why my posts over the next couple of weeks will be short, and hopefully sweet. There are lots of admin things to take care of for the show this coming Saturday, as well as the drama camp, and I do need to slot some time for working on my next book. Not to mention the big family gathering we will have on the Fourth of July as I celebrate my birthday and the birthday of the U.S.A.

3 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Fans of the Marathon bomber? Oh, I wish you hadn't shared that. I was happily unaware.

Best of luck with the show, camp. etc.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks, LD. I probably shouldn't have shared about the Marathon bomber, but I advertise that I share the absurdities of the human condition, and that is an absurdity of the highest order.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It's heartbreaking that any women find something attractive or God help us... sexy... about a murderer, but they do.

Working with a Drama Camp for kids sounds like a blast. Have fun with that Comedy Nite!