Saturday, December 07, 2013

I'm Late, I'm Late...

Yesterday was rather a blur for me, literally as well as figuratively. I have been having issues with vertigo, and took some meds that didn't set well with me. Had an allergic reaction that kept me up most of Thursday night, so needless to say, I was wiped out most of yesterday.

To top off my incredibly horrid day, there was an ice storm in Texas that hit the Dallas area hard. It was supposed to come here, so we cancelled the opening night of our holiday show, which was probably good for me since there was no way I could stand up and do music. The weather today is a tad better. No precipitation, but it is very cold. Our story takes place in Southern California, so we are just going to have to pretend that we have warm weather for our surfer dudes.

This morning I discovered that Nelson Mandella died, and the news saddened me. What a remarkable man he was, even though our government, and others, considered him a terrorist.


It is true that Mandela’s group, the ANC, which was leading the black struggle against the apartheid regime, did engage in violence, but it was a fight against oppression. Mandela was imprisoned in 1964 after being arrested and charged with sabotage, specifically a campaign against the country's power grid, and plotting to overthrow the government. No one was injured in the sabotage campaign. He was released in 1990, at age 71. He was elected president of South Africa in 1994, in the country’s first full and free elections, and served until 1999.

For more thoughts on the legacy of this man, visit libcom.org 

I also want to take note of the historic significance of this date - December 7th. Rick Moran, a blog editor at The American Thinker, shares his thoughts about this day on The PJ Tatler



It was my honor to stand on the memorial for the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor some years ago, and I will never forget the emotions I felt as I thought about what happened there and the men and women who lost their lives.

No comments: