Friday, February 08, 2013

Friday Odds and Ends

Today I am also blogging over at the Venture Galleries blog. Interested in what makes a criminal's mind different from ours?


Heard on the news the other day that Saturday mail deliveries will be discontinued starting in August. The media is all over this in a big way already, from national news shows to local. Some people sure are hot about the topic, with some predicting dire consequences, like senior citizens dying because they can't get medications delivered that day. 

Granted, timely medication deliveries could be an issue, but instead of ranting about it, why not just step back a moment, take a deep breath, and figure out a way for medications to be delivered Monday through Friday. It could happen.

Concern over business mail that would be delayed was also voiced. Bills might be paid late. Hmmm, maybe we could plan to handle that differently, too.

Just think, years ago, we didn't have Saturday deliveries, and we all did just fine. Even more years ago mail deliveries were on a weekly, or monthly basis, and everyone did just fine.


We will survive this latest deprivation. Trust me.

Raise your hand if you can relate to this from Sherman's Lagoon: Megan is tending to a potted plant and Sherman asks, "So Megan, you're also entering this tropical plant contest?"

"As a matter of fact, yes."

"When did this come about?"

She gives him one of those looks. You know the one I mean. "I've entered it every year since you've known me!"

"And yet this is the first time I'm hearing about it?"

"I discuss it every year."

"While I'm paying attention? You know, during comercials?"

"Arrrrgh!"

This Literary Lesson is from The Weeping Chamber by Sigmund Brouwer   "… the distance between us makes my heart ache with sentiment, and it is easier to be weak for you when you cannot see how I tremble."

Sometimes emotions are easier to handle with some distance between us.

3 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Following you over to Venture

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I read yesterday about the Post Office eliminating Saturdays. They've talked about it for years.

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks, LD. Hope you find the other blog post interesting.

L. Diane, or could I just call you Diane? (smile) I remember this idea being tossed around many times. I think those earlier reports were just to soften us up.