Friday, February 01, 2013

Friday's Odds and Ends

The media has coined another new phrase - Whiplash Weather - referring to the extreme changes in temperature and weather conditions that the upper midwest and the east have been experiencing recently. Obviously those journalists have not been in Texas very often for long periods of time. There has been an expression here - if you don't like the weather, just wait a day - for as long as I have lived here, and that has been over forty years.

It is not unusual at all to have temperatures in the 60s one day and snow the next.



Granted, our weather and climate changes have been wonky for some time now, and only a few people are still convinced we aren't experiencing climate change due to global warming. I just find it ironic that so many people don't recognize a serious issue until the media puts some kind of label on it.

Now for some fun with the comics. This from Baby Blues I can so relate to. Wanda is in bed sleeping and Hammie comes in and taps her on the shoulder until she wakes up. "Hammie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. But as log as you're up, will you get me a drink of water?"

And here's another good one from Wiley's Dictionary at B.C. The definition of "babbling brook."

"What Brook becomes after her second glass of wine."

Literary Lessons:  This is from The Weeping Chamber by Sigmund Brouwer  "A man is a fool if he thinks he rules his own house."

5 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I'm from El Paso

The expression I'm familiar with is: If you don't like the weather, wait an HOUR.

*smile*

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

BTW

Have you tried disabling anonymous comments? That eliminated all of my spam

Patricia Stoltey said...

I know the weather is wonky, but when the media goes haywire over the latest killer tornado, I am reminded of the horrible band of tornadoes that hit Xenia, Ohio in the early 70s. If we could just hear the facts about weather reporting instead of all this media hysteria, it would help all of us understand exactly what's truth and what's fantasy relative to climate change.

LD Masterson said...

I've lived in a bunch of places from coast to coast and the only place I didn't hear lay claim to that "If you don't like the weather here..." line was southern California. Only the wait times vary, from a minute to a day.

And I'm with you, Patricia - less media hysteria and more useful information would be very nice.

Maryannwrites said...

Sorry I was MIA yesterday so I couldn't respond to comments. A bit of a family emergency, but I think things are okay now.

Thanks for the tip, Mac. I will have to see if I can figure out how to disable anonymous comments, as I really do hate those captcha codes. Half the time I cannot read them.

Patricia and LD, I so agree about the media hysteria. That seems to be the norm now, no matter what the news item is. I could take acting lessons from some of the anchors who report with that breathless style that adds so much drama. LOL