Monday, February 04, 2013

Monday Morning Musing

So what was your favorite Super Bowl commercial? Which one(s) would you give a thumbs down to? For me, some were easy to dislike, like the GoDaddy one that had the couple kissing. Sorry, GoDaddy, I like your site, but that commercial was awful.

I liked the Doritos ad that featured the man and the goat. Maybe I related because I have a goat, and I could see her plotting to kill me if I stopped giving her treats. But the commercial that I loved was the Dodge Ram commercial celebrating farmers, narrated by the late Paul Harvey. I know that one resonated with me because I play at farming here on my little piece of East Texas, but I have also loved and respected farmers my whole life. They are in my family and my circle of friends. The ad told of all the reasons "God made a farmer," and it was very poignant.

Inspired by the commercial, I went out and planted potatoes and peas in my garden this morning.

I'm not even going to join the debate about the half-time show, as I did not watch it. I don't care for that style of music, so I cleaned up my kitchen while the show was on. This morning I discovered that there has been some backlash from folks who did not think the show was family-friendly. Well, not much in our pop culture is anymore.

Oops, I just joined the debate. Sorry.

On another note, my publisher for Play It Again, Sam, Uncial Press, has partnered with Untreed Reads for a special sale event, offering books for a 30% discount through February 14. Click on the title link to take advantage of the sale. To see all the novels offered by Untreed Reads, click on their link. 

BLURB: Life as she knows it ceases to exist for Samantha Rutgers when her husband of twenty-plus years decides he no longer loves her. The challenges are myriad. Can she build a life without him? Will her daughter always blame her? Can she ever trust a man again?
    And what is she going to do about sex?


4 comments:

Laura Eno said...

The Doritos were amusing, both the goat and the father and friends playing dress up. Go Daddy commercial stunk! My favorite though, was the Clydesdale in the Budweiser commercial. It brought tears to my eyes.

Maryannwrites said...

Somehow I missed that one, Laura, and I always love the Clydesdales in those commercials.

LD Masterson said...

I liked the car one (Audi?) about the boy going stag to the prom and kissing the girl of his dream.

Maryannwrites said...

LD, I liked that one a lot, too. There were a number of commercials that were fun and clever, others not so much.