Monday, October 27, 2014

Missing In Action

You may have noticed a bit of an absence on my part with not explanation. I had a severe attack of colitis a week ago and spent 6 days in the hospital. This is day 11since it hit, and the first day I have felt almost like a human being. The worst part is that I missed most of the performances of my show, "Bonnie & Clyde In Winsboro." I was there for opening night October 17 and in the hospital the next day.

Yesterday, I had someone take me to the theatre to see the last performance and stay a little while at the cast party. What a terrific group of players who carried on just fine without me, although they were very happy to see me. They gave me this great shirt that they all signed, and we all cried. You can see lots more pictures of the cast at the Winnsboro Center for the Arts Facebook page.   The young people who played Bonnie and Clyde were amazing.


Cassie Rose played Bonnie and Thomas Hulme played Clyde. In the background is Ian Dierflinger as Hank the mechanic.  These young folks are all graduates, or near graduates, of my summer drama camp. They make me proud.


Since I am supposed to rest for a couple more weeks, my computer time will be relegated to working on my book, so I  may only post an occasional piece here from my friend, Slim, and take some time off.

I'll leave you with a few jokes to get your week off to a fun start.

These relationship questions were posed to children, and I love their answers.

 HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck.
-- Ricky, age 10

  IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
-- Anita, age 9 (bless you child )

A police recruit was asked during the exam, 'What would you do if you had to arrest your own
mother?'
He answered, 'Call for backup.'

Two boys were walking home from Sunday school after hearing a strong preaching on the devil.
One said to the other, 'What do you think about all this Satan stuff?'

The other boy replied, 'Well, you know how Santa Claus turned out. It's probably just your Dad.'

Before I forget, I have a review copy of an anthology that will release on November 15th. I am  pleased to have a story in this International Anthology, and I would love to send a review copy out if you are interested in reading and writing a review on the 15th.

5 comments:

Betty Louise said...

Sorry to hear you have been ill. Colitis is no fun. Get wel

Tigermouse said...

Love the jokes, especially the second one :)

So sorry that you've been ill and had to miss most of Bonnie and Clyde, but at least you were there at the beginning and end and the young cast did you proud.

I always think the last night of any show is the best. The drama groups I used to be involved with always added a little something extra to the final performance, something unexpected and which would be guaranteed to raise a laugh from the audience - or if it was a serious play something which only other cast members would know the significance of.

I'd love to rejoin a local group but at the moment I don't have the time to devote to all the rehearsals etc, but maybe someday I'll manage it.

Maryannwrites said...

Tigermouse,I understand about the time balance thing. I wouldn't be doing theatre except there is something so wonderful about the whole process of taking a story from pieces of paper and making it come alive on stage that makes all the time worthwhile. I have learned, however, that I need to cut my theatre involvement in half. LOL

Thanks for the good wishes.

And thanks to you, too, Betty Louise.

ABEhrhardt said...

Hope you're feeling better - noticed that you haven't been online (I was out of town, so it took me a while).

Do NOT give up theater while you can still do it. Maybe be picky with what you will/can do, but it would be a great loss. There are so many things I can't do, that I hate to see other people give them up!

Keep writing, too.

And don't forget to get your exercise. (laughing here at myself)

Best
Alicia

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks for stopping by Alicia and your encouragement. I asked the doc last week if I could get back to my morning walk, and he said not yet. Another week.

I will not give up theatre, but I need to scale back on directing and producing. Acting is a lot easier. LOL