Monday, October 06, 2014

Monday Morning Musings

If I don't hurry up and get this posted, it will soon become Monday Afternoon Musings. I got a slow start to my morning due to some thunderstorms that blew in about four o'clock. It was a loud, violent storm with lightening that slashed the darkness. For some reason, as I lay awake for about an hour listening to the thunder and watching the sudden burst of light, I thought of the Garth Brooks song, "The Thunder Rolls." I checked out the video for the song on YouTube, and sure enough, it opens with an brief instant replay of what I heard this morning.


"Negotiating Successful Threesomes" is the title of a free seminar that was held at the University of New Mexico during their "Sex Week" activities. The seminar was billed as a way to curb sexual assault on campus and the main focus was teaching students how to have safer and better sex.

Huh? Am I the only one who finds this more than bizarre? Please don't tell me I am. While I don't want to go back to Puritan ideology that had "sins of the flesh" at the top of the list of human atrocities, I cringe when I think of how one of the most wonderful and sacred act of intimacy between two people has been misused and abused and reduced to recreational entertainment.

How about a free seminar on the college campuses that focuses on better and safer parties, debunking the myth that to have a good time one should get roaring drunk and screw everything in sight? That might curb the growing problem of sexual assault.

Shirley McGlothlin of Plano, Texas wrote a thought-provoking letter to the editor that was published in The Dallas Morning News yesterday. "At age 77, I can still recall y father's reaction when someone bragged about what a 'good, religious' person they were. Dad would tell us, 'If someone feels the need to tell you what a good religious person they are... be real happy they told you...otherwise you may never have guessed it.'"

She was commenting on how politicians wear their religion on their sleeves, and I thought she made a very good point. Religion is too important to be used as a political ploy.

Okay, enough of the rants. Now it's time for some fun.

First we have this from Crankshaft. He and his fellow school bus drivers are in the bus garage at the end of the morning run. Rocky says, "I had a kid's phone go off on my bus this morning. And the ringtone was so loud, I almost ran up on the curb."

Lena, the bus garage manager and driver says, "So many of thre kids on my bus are either listening to music or texting someone that I can never get their attention."

Another driver, Andy, says, "And not only are the ringtones loud and obnoxious, but some give off flashing lights for a phone call."

Crankshaft comments, "I've said it before...cellphones are weapons of mass disruption."

Since some of you have enjoyed the "Then the Fight Started" jokes, here are a few more:

My wife sat down on the couch next to me as I was flipping channels. She asked, "What's on TV?"
"I said, 'Dust."
And then the fight started...
----------
My wife said her mother was coming to stay for a week or so, I said I'll be at Motel 6 if you need me....
...And then the fight started.
-------
My wife asked me if meatloaf would be OK for dinner, I said fine, should we go to Denny's or IHOP.
...And then the fight started.

I hope you enjoyed the jokes, and please do let me know what you think of the topics of my rants.

2 comments:

Neil A. Waring said...

"Sex Week" activities. That pretty much sums it up. Hope the government and citizens of New Mexico are watching where their University is spending money. Not sure my ultra-conservative Wyoming would let it fly, at least I hope not. By the way I love Crankshaft, some days reminds me of myself.

Maryannwrites said...

Neil, my husband used to love Crankshaft, too. He said he could relate to Crankshaft and to Earl from Pickles.